Ever wonder how to frost cupcakes like a bakery? Well in order to frost cupcakes like a bakery, you need the perfect cupcake frosting – that creamy rich frosting that stands up well for swirls and piping, looks gorgeous, lasts for a long time, and still tastes great.
Here are some tips I’ve gathered from experience and from the bakery for making perfect cream cheese frosting at home in your own kitchen:
- Use cold cream cheese: unlike butter, cream cheese is already soft enough its better to start with just slightly softened cream cheese. I like to set the cream cheese out for 5-8 minutes before I start my frosting.
- Add 1-4 tsp meringue powder: the meringue powder helps the frosting keep its shape, but is not necessary. Really helpful when piping pretty cupcake swirls.
- If you use butter in your cream cheese recipe, make sure the butter is softened to room temperature
- Sift, sift, and sift your powdered sugar before adding it to your frosting
- Be careful to not over beat your frosting
- Add 1-2 Tbsp sour cream for that cream cheesy tang
Here is a cream cheese frosting recipe I like to use when I bake cupcakes at home:
Best Cream Cheese Frosting for Bakery-style Cupcakes (enough for about 12 regular sized cupcakes)
recipe by Dorothy
8 oz. cream cheese, cold
4 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp sour cream
2 tsp meringue powder (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Be careful to not over beat. Beat in the sour cream, hen tthe meringue powder (if using). Add the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Mix until combined and fluffy. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and enjoy!
I would love to hear your frosting tips!
PS. Tune in to the Food Network this Saturday, January 8, at 4pm to see us on Cupcake Wars!
More Bakery Style Cupcake Frosting recipes: